Thursday, August 07, 2014

Charlotte's birthday bash

Sorry for the silence, everyone. It's not that I'm not thinking of you! It's making me crazy that I haven't been posting here enough. I've been dealing with an explosion of honey (lots of beekeeping), homework assignments for the writing courses I've been taking, barn chores, work and whatever else. I am starting to feel my age!

Anyway, we had a little party for the birthday chicken this weekend and my friend Ronna made this fantastic cake:


The chicken part was chocolate cake, the rest was red velvet. Fantastic!! Ronna did a blog post about it too.



I love this hen. She better live forever!


Blowing out the candles (and wow, looks that patch of grey!)




Charlotte even got presents, like these freeze-dried mealworms from our friends Pierre and Kathy.


And also a rubber chicken, a stuffed chicken, a hen house dip bowl, yogurt and a watermelon!

Charlotte and her babies LOVED the yogurt...



On top of everything else, she's started moulting!

And my friends' kids made a beautiful album all about Charlotte...


We are lucky to have such wonderful people in our lives!

And here's a video of the birthday girl and her kids, enjoying yogurt..




PS: Redford the barn cat is being sighted almost every day and is eating his nummies at his feeding station!

15 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous girl!!
    Happy Birthday sweet one.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte must be the luckiest chicken in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our dogs and cat celebrate birthdays, but our single hen (Richard) is of uncertain birthdate. Maybe this is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to celebrate my birthday at your place.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never wished a happy birthday to a chicken before :)
    Happy b-day, Charlotte.
    Looks like you had a fun day of celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There can't be many chickens who have featured on their own cake. I expect she has eaten it by now. Or someone has?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure that this is a first in the world! No other hen has ever had a birthday bash like this! You care for your critters very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a birthday party, Charlotte! We wonder whether the yogurt was enjoyed most for eating or the spa treatment on the feet ;-)

    Glad to hear Redford is staying close to home and enjoying his noms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ronna is so talented!! I love her cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who knew I'd ever fall in love with a HEN?

    Happy Birthday, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:17 pm

    Too cute! What a great birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday, Charlotte! She's adorable with that dollop of yogurt on her beak. I wasn't aware that chickens liked dairy, but Charlotte and her youngsters sure do!

    Wow. You weren't kidding about the molting. She has feathers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well this could turn into a children's story some day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog warms my heart. (And I wish Ronna lived HERE!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous8:47 am

    A chicken with its own birthday cake!?!? AMAZING!!!!
    A belated Happy Birthday to Charlotte the chicken.
    Lorna ✿ naturally-bee.blogspot.co.uk ✿

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!