Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hoofing it and paddling

My sad, feeble brain can't recall whether or not I posted these horse pictures before. I don't think I did, but I'm too lazy to look. Anyway, we've been taking horseback riding lessons, western style, and it's fantastic! 


Gordon loves Bonnie, aka Bon Bon.


I love Ella. Her legs are green because she'd been dressed up as an alligator in a parade the night before.



Now before you freak, yes, I wear a helmet when riding! I use one of the instructor's, but I've now ordered my own. This was my brief "Risk death for a photo op" moment, okay? :) Not the first time I've sat on a horse without a helmet, but I'm wearing one all the time now.


We both love horseback riding! I've wanted to take lessons for a couple of decades. It's too bad I waited so long. And Gordon's a natural! This is a place where his constant state of muscular relaxation is a big help for him. I get tense and think too much!


Ella is a great horse!


And I took a selfie while trying on helmets at the tack shop. I like the brand name on the tag, ha ha!

And when not hoofing it, we like paddling. We went out on Lake St. Francis (St. Lawrence River) again last week. Another beautiful evening...


A giant container ship cruised by! Eventually the wake hit us. Fun!


Gordon drifts past the Glengarry Cairn.





It's getting dark earlier and earlier... sigh. We can't kayak until 9 pm like we were earlier this summer!
Hope you are all having a Labour Day weekend.





26 comments:

  1. Wonderful pics! Used to love to ride. Of course we never rode with helmets, but I can appreciate the safety... having been bucked off when I was 9 and had a concussion. But it never deterred me. Loved riding too much. Don't do much now even though my daughter has horses. My back can't take it. But glad you're enjoying it. And the kayaking looks fun too. Both my children own kayaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I grew up riding a bike without a helmet. I'd never ride a bike without one today. Times changed. :) Kayaking is great, not too hard!

      Delete
  2. My sister has a horse so I've been in horse barns. I must say that the one where your photos were taken is especially clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems pretty immaculate to me but I'm no expert! :)

      Delete
  3. Bon Bon is a lovely mare with velvety eyes. Sunset on the water looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a great horse, very sweet and mellow.

      Delete
  4. Summer has left us stealthily come September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has just snuck right in here!

      Delete
  5. I love your animals! The close-up picture of you with your face against the horse is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last photo with the clouds and sunset on the water is quite spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely evening. Very calm.

      Delete
  7. Now western riding? Shouldn't you have the regular cowboy hat? I knew you were interested in horses but I thought you'd go the draft horse way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, we still want to do the driving stuff. But I figured we should get to know out way around a horse, and I've always wanted to learn to ride. But I'm dying to do more driving!

      Delete
  8. We're a bit OFF riding here; Lady Magnon was thrown last year, and could easily have died. Luckily she just just in pain for 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have heard too many horror stories! I'm hoping not to suffer any terrible injuries. I have a friend who needed brain surgery after being thrown from a horse while on vacation, and another who broke her pelvis and got a concussion.

      Delete
  9. Ella and Bonnie look like sweeties. I like the way Ella has her ears turned back a little as you're riding her - she's paying attention to you. Gordon's relaxed attitude will stand him in good stead, but sometimes a sleepy horse likes someone with a little more edge so you'll find your match too. And you are both fit and strong so that really helps and you love the beasties which is most important of all. It's a sweet, sweet place to be on the back of a horse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, it sure is. I just love it. :)

      Delete
  10. I love horses too!!!
    Nice places!!! Beautiful photos like ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:51 am

    Great ways to enjoy the summer! Enjoyed all your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the horses and those kayaking photos are spectacular.

    Oh, how I loved that back-handed compliment! "This is a place where his constant state of muscular relaxation is a big help for him."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, noticed that, did you? :)

      Delete
  13. Do I see a couple of saddle horses joining your tribe in the near future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, who knows? It's turning into a zoo around here!!

      Delete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!