Thursday, August 14, 2014

I broke down the wall!!!

LOOK WHO IT IS!


Why yes, that's Redford the shy barn kitty. Last night he let me pet him, and he continued to let me love him up (carefully) today!



We did selfies! I can't tell you how happy I am that he is finally losing his fear of me. Of course the bowl of tuna didn't hurt.


I sat with him for an hour or so today and just let him come to me. He is still very wary but so desperate to be touched. He danced all around me for the longest time. I finally won him over by playing with him with a piece of baling twine.


I think we'll be best buddies soon! Isn't he handsome?


This afternoon I sat with him and worked on my writing homework. He was under my chair for a while, and kept patting at me for attention.  He has extra toes on three of his four paws and you can hear him padding around the barn!



Finally he had a nap in front of me. I figure he must be starting to trust me if he'll go to sleep in plain view.



Poor little guy. I think he has been quite lonely. We are going to take a couple of barn cats from friends of ours who have too many cats, and there may be a couple more barn cats on the horizon in the future. We will make sure they are all well cared-for and have a heated space in winter. I love this guy!

And here's Doppelganger indoors. They look so alike, but Redford is 12 - 18 months old while Emerson is around 8 months now. I still suspect they were dumped here together, as they appeared at pretty much the same time.



Emerson was smart. He moved right in!

Somehow we now have seven cats... and have I mentioned the new piglet? No? Next post! :)

30 comments:

  1. He's so handsome, Natalie. He has a very distinct M on his forehead. That is a feature on every tabby but some are more defined than others. There are many stories as to how the tabby got the letter M on it's forehead.
    http://cats.about.com/cs/tabbycats/a/tabby_cats_2.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I didn't know about all these stories! Thanks Deb!

      Delete
  2. Emerson looks very comfortable on the back of that couch! And im so happy for you that you were able to make contact with Redford.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Natalie. He's a cutie, as is Emerson. I envy you your orange tabbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange kitties are pretty special, I think. Hard to believe we now have three!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. He is still so cautious but he gets braver every day! he let my friend pet him on Saturday.

      Delete
  5. Well, you mentioned one new piglet. Is there another new piglet. It's too bad people abandon their animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, same one. I am losing my mind! ;) Terrible memory these days...

      Delete
  6. That's really nice. It's a wonderful feeling when an animal first shows confidence in you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Knatolie! You have such a beautiful way with animals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Can't you see I'm about to have a wash, woman!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, that sounds about right!

      Delete
  9. I told you he was thinking about it!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANd I trust your judgment when it comes to all things cat!

      Delete
  10. Oh my! he´s amazing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, how could he resist?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure played hard to get for awhile!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous12:12 pm

    Yay! I knew he'd come around eventually. Natalie the Cat Whisperer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roaming Redford and Easystreet Emerson... They both got good deals.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe he's sensitive about his toes. :) He's hiding them in your pictures.

    Being dropped off at your house makes up for being abandoned and unloved. He just had to make sure he was in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so desperate for attention but still so wary. He's really fighting with himself over it all. But every day he relaxes a bit more. :)

      Delete
  15. So wonderful to see Redford coming out of his shell. I'm sure he will become very affectionate - he just needs a bit more time. Bravo, Knatolee!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!