Wednesday, January 14, 2015

We don't JUST have ornj cats here...

...we also have PONIES! In their nice new three-sided shelter!



Finney is on the left, Esme on the right. Esme is, er, a little chunky but I'll worry about slimming her down when winter is over!


She's my sweet girl! 

So, I went snowshoeing on Monday had just made it behind the barn when I turned around to see this:


Missy and Buttercup scampering along behind me in my trail!



They are intrepid! To think Buttercup lived on a hot, sunny Greek island until just last November!




As you can see, snow doesn't faze her one bit.



Missy's a true Canadian. She seems to have made a friend in Buttercup, which is sweet to see. She is just the loveliest cat. I love her short tail!



Checking out the snowshoes!




I made the go back in the barn before I continued my trek. I didn't want them following me across the fields to the woodlot!

I checked on my two beehives out in the field and the girls are alive. I put my ear to the top entrances to listen for buzzing, hoping no one would come out to investigate my ear canal.



When I came back, the ponies were out waiting for me.



Monday was a nice day to be outside, not too cold, but the temperatures plummeted Monday night. 

It was even colder when I got up this morning:


Fortunately the barn cats have their own rooms in the barn, and all manner of heating pads and heaters and heated little huts! But we'll all be glad when this particular cold snap is over.

20 comments:

  1. Do the ponies have indoor stalls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, absolutely! They have box stalls in the barn. THey've been coming in every night, and when it's -30C in the morning, we don't let them out until the sun has warmed things up. Breakfast in the stalls!

      Delete
  2. It reminds me of the old days, walking the two cairns up the road. Looking back, three cats, trailing, and occasionally the flock of wild turkeys, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkeys, now that would be fun!

      Delete
  3. You live in a postcard Natalie. Beautiful photos that make me smile. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how some cats love to follow. I've had a few like that. Love these photos, Natalie. It's so cute to see them become friends. Your ponies look so happy and I love their coral. Sweet! I'll be glad, too, to see the temps go up. It's freezing here and not easy to do much outside. I walked around our 2 acre lot today, round and around, just to get some exercise. I'm sure I looked a bit crazy. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have looked crazy but you are fit! :)

      Delete
  5. When I was a kid we lived in the country with a large swath of forest behind us. We used to take our dogs for long walks through it and one of our cats, Biscuit, use to tag along. If we went to fast and got too far ahead of her, she'd yell for us to wait up. When we moved to the city, she use to follow my brother to his friend's house and to school. She like that one friend too - so much so that if he (his name was Kyle) walked by the house, and she was out - she'd start following him. It got so bad, he use to take different routes to places that didn't go by our house because he didn't want her getting hurt on one of the main roads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a cool story!! What an adventurous cat.

      Delete
  6. I love your pics, but I also enjoy up to 14 plus here in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come on, -32C is lovely, balmy weather! I wear shorts! :)

      Delete
  7. We've had lows in the minus single digits. I can't even imagine your low temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so peaceful and lovely where you live. The animals all look so healthy and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man that's cold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cat storiies. When I was growing up we had a pointer(Skip) and a cat named Joe. They were great friends and that was back when you could let your pets outside without fences or leashes. They used to hunt together in the open fields behind our house. One year we moved to the other side of town . There were no fields to hunt in and Skip and Joe decided this was not home. The first morning after the move, they were no where to be found ... then my Mother said "I think I know where we might find them". And, sure enough, we drove to our old house and there they were sitting on the back porch. They had to have walked most of the night to get there. They were happy to see us, but not happy that we went back to the new, strange house. In time they adjusted, but we had to make sure they were in at night or I am sure they would have gone back again and again. I love your pictures and your rapport with your animals. Such a joy ... everything except -40. Good Grief, I will not complain about our weather again :) It has been a pleasure, Knatolee ... I will return for more of your wonderful stories and I will look into your children's book ...

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  11. How are you piglets doing in this cold weather?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I meant YOUR piglets. Geez!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's so cute the way the cats followed you in the snow. Our daughter has a calico that follows her and the kids every morning when they walk to the bus stop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was all looking so cozy, and happy, and loving. Minus-thirty-what! You've got to be kidding!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!