Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Driving Mr. Finney!

So! My friend Debbie has been training me to train Finney to pull a cart. The first video was taken on our first day! 




We're both much better now. He's not pulling me around now; I'm driving him! I practice for about half an hour every day and have set up mini pylons to make a course to practice steering around.


He is doing great with this! It's all new to him; he'd never even had a bit in his mouth before, to our knowledge. I am just attaching the lines to his halter for now and letting him wear the bit to get used to it, but he seems fine. He really seems to love being out there doing something!


And good ponies get yummy pasture to snack on!


He's so cute!
And cat-positive...


Emerson just love the ponies but especially loves the donkey!



And here's my Finney-boy, smiling for the camera...



Hope you're having a happy week! Thank you for all the lovely comments you leave on my blog. They make me smile every time I read them.

15 comments:

  1. Finney is a gem! Such a strong pony, and happy to be loved by you. (And Emerson)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great way to get some exercise! Of course, eventually, you'll be sitting in a cart instead of running around the field....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now make sure that you train Finney and that Finney doesn't train you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What type of 'cart' will he be pulling? When I was very small I used to drive a pony and (2 wheeled) trap around my village. It's a wonderful way to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lovely way to spend time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute . Loved the photos and video ! We just hitched our horses straight up to the carts to train them get then used to the carts and weight of it right away when we were on the farm . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you hear me chuckling over Mr. Finney's smile! I love horse rides, especially in the autumn when the pumpkins are ready to pick! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emerson appears to be thinking "seriously lady??"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie the "horse whisperer" on the way to another success....:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natalie that does look like good exercise. But you sure will get some exercise just handling the reins on the cart when you get it It will give Emerson great exercise and something to do too. Love your blog I want to come live with you and help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun, for you and Finney and Emerson too! My brother had two Belgians he used to use to pull a sleigh in winter (sadly both have since passed) and I remember when he (my brother) was trained to drive them. Of course, they were quite used to it, but they knew there was someone different at the reins.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever fellow! I think sleigh rides in the winter would be great. Nice of him to give rides to the cats:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:01 pm

    It looks like Finney has a four-leaf clover in his mouth. A bit of Irish luck there? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I imagine Finney DOES like this - he is learning something new and it keeps him from being bored. Love Emerson's riding skills.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!